Pages

Wednesday 4 February 2015

Insanity Max:30 Diary - The Journey So Far...


Okay...so I know I'm late in starting this post because I am in week 4 of training now (which I still can't quite believe), but I only posted my first blog yesterday, so please bear with me!

Like most people I have sat up late over the years watching movies, only to find the movie ending with only TV adverts to watch and even if you haven't over some form of time via publicity, word of mouth or social networking you would have heard of or seen by the name of INSANITY.

Being someone who has always been into fitness, I took an interest, but I think initially the title and length of the first Insanity, (I usually always exercise to DVD's before work and having to wake up an extra hour or more, really did NOT appeal) is what probably put me off...that was until this one night over Christmas, whilst watching the late night ads, was when Insanity Max:30 was brought to my attention.

It seems the trainer Shaun T has adapted the workout, in parts making it more intense and it was now possible to complete over a 30 minute period, instead of the hour and longer period of time as was in the first Insanity DVDs.

I called a friend who I had recommended Insanity too initially and who had completed the first round with great results to let him know that this version had come out, "Sis" he said- as he always calls me this- "I'm going to get this, I have to get this sis". The friend in question is MAJORLY into fitness, so I thought about it and decided I had been slacking for a while, so it was about time I did something to-quite literally- kick my butt back into gear...so not long after new year, after seeing the advert again, I found myself entering my card details online and pressing "Buy" before I knew it...apprehensively I waited for it to arrive...it was with me within 48 hrs, which I was impressed with and thought was super quick.

Opening the box was a bit like revealing Pandora's Box, excited and scared all at the same time, but I needn't have been scared because there was everything I needed to get started. 
The DVDs themselves came in a fab and original booklet, so no chance of them going missing in what could have been 10 separate case holders which I saw as a nice touch and for those who needed help with the food and nutrition side of things, there was everything you needed to get started a great kit for anyone, from novice to workout professional.

The premise of the workout is you work your hardest, whether in full high intensity or the modified version and when you cannot breathe anymore (haha!) you pause the disk, record what is your "Max Out" time on the pull-out provided and continue to the end...as much as it's for 30 mins, I would say give yourself 40-50 mins for the first time / week, including the cool down, as you will be pausing this more than once, that's for sure!

So it was the middle of the first full week of January 2015, I text my friend and asked whether he had started yet, which he hadn't, so offered whether he wanted to buddy up and we'd report back progress via text each day and he thought it was a great idea.

Monday 12th January 2015 saw me starting the first DVD which is called Cardio Challenge...well...what can I say, I started off well...but then 2 mins 15 secs in I had to pause and then realised how un-blooming-fit I truly was!!
Que the next 40 minutes of stop /starting /panting /sweating like a - as the Americans say- Mo Fo and I finally got to the end!!

The next 2 days were the hardest for me in the past 4 weeks, my body was aching – it felt like it been run over and beaten up twice over again, muscles I didn't know existed were hurting (and bear in mind I have been doing various types of fitness over the years) and I was tired. 
I cannot stress enough, it is imperative that you get at least 7- 8 hrs sleep a night when doing this if you can, or you will find it hard to complete and/or may not want to and it’s not worth stopping once you've started. but now it's easily become part of my daily routine.


Shaun T is a very inspiring and experienced Trainer, he helps you through and motivates you even when you feel like stopping, which is how a great Instructor should be!
He is not annoying like some unmentionable celebs and really encourages you to work your hardest, the fact he has a Facebook page where he posts results for people to join in,  is a great way for the Insaniacs (Insanity fans + Fitness Maniac, I just created that, hope Shaun T likes it! ;-) ) connect and push each other through their goals.

So 4 weeks in and today for the first time whilst doing Sweat Intervals (my favourite one of the week and I’m sad to be leaving), I DID NOT MAX OUT?!?! 
Please bear in mind, my Max Out time last week was 12 mins 39 seconds…way to go hey?! 
My workout buddy also helped, he sent me a text this morning saying he hadn't Maxed Out (not the first time for him) and that's what spurred me on, along with it being the last time I’d be doing it this week.
Trust me when I say I wanted to stop at 28 mins 31 seconds, but I have always loved a bit of competition so my mind beat my body and pushed me to the end!

Also, ANYONE CAN DO THIS WORKOUT, YOUNG, OLD, BIG, THIN, NO EXCUSES!!
The sense of achievement on completing each disk is incredible…when I first saw there was 60 days which is over 8 weeks, it seemed so far, far away, but I’m already half way through, feels like no time at all and I am feeling stronger and fitter than I ever have with going to the gym and cardio classes.

Someone mentioned at work to me yesterday that they could see my body shape changing (bonus!), I've noticed my butt is even higher than before I started, along with my stomach and thigh areas being tighter.

I have been combining a mixture of both the higher and lower intensity impact modifiers. Yes I am a Fitness Instructor, but no I am not a UK size 8, 10 or 12, I have curves which I love, along with my food and I do my best to eat well most of the time, but it is winter and I always feel we should be able to eat more stodge in winter as it’s what our bodies ask for (well mine does anyway!).
I haven’t changed my eating habits, but intend to –as Shaun T would say- “Dig a little Deeper” next week when Round 2 kicks off, I will keep you posted on how it goes.

I will post a picture here at the weekend, showing my Max Out record chart and any changes in my body measurements and you will see how I have progressed within a matter of 4 weeks, but so far it’s a high five from me and 100% worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment