Pages

Friday 6 February 2015

It Was Alright...but Nothing To Write Home About.


After recommending to my work colleagues to take a trip to the Market House over the Christmas Period and having a fantastic time, we decided to go last night and check out their new Oh My Dog menu as the pictures seduced us and appeared enticing.

After trying to book for 10 of us on Book A Table, it seemed we weren't able to do so even though the option was there, so 2 of us tried calling Market House directly for most of the week and no-one answered, which I'm sure must be losing them business as a result of this.  Because I had already booked a table for 5 people on Monday,I tweeted them in the morning and received a reply to email them, which I did, but didn't get a reply..? I thought that it'd be okay to confirm once we had arrived.

When we got there it seems there was a change of staff from when we last attended and they appeared pretty lost when we mentioned the booking, they said they had no record of it, but did their best to pull some tables to together and accommodate us.

After waiting an hour by out table as at our last visit we were served, we went to the bar to order our food, no biggie, but there was hardly any others customers in at the time.

We all ordered a main hot dog and some sides to share and the food was with us in around 30 mins, some arrived cold, this was due to the waiting staff not having a clue which table had ordered what and walking/ standing around with some items for a while.

The food itself was a bit of an anti-climax compared with the fantastically delicious Baba G's which had residency in the kitchen the previous 2 months before.

The hot-dogs where nice, but not worth the £8.50 / £7.50 they were charging, a fiver would have been sufficient. The mac & cheese was original in the way it was presented, but didn't have much seasoning unless paired with the bbq sauce. The cheesy chips...well they didn't have much cheese on them? However I was told the Oh My Fries were nice.  
I did like the fact that the food, although of the "fast food" type variety, wasn't greasy and didn't leave your face the same way, which was a plus point from me!




One of the team was a veggie and was given her Veggie Yum dog, but because of all of the confusion with the staff bringing over various different wrong items through-out the process, was unsure whether it was definitely her vegetarian option and did not end up eating it in the end, as she was worried it might firstly have been meat and wondered whether it had been cooked with the meat options if it wasn't. everything was served in small baskets and no plates, so this made it hard for sharing the sides.

Oh My Dog would be a great alternative to the rubbish hot dogs I see being served (which I NEVER eat) when people visit the cinema and they could approach a cinema chain to see if they would be interested, as I'm not sure if it works well as a meal option. 
The pictures look amazing though and is what drew in more people to come along. 

The bar at this time was busy and I noticed that the staff seemed like they were headless chickens and that there should have been more staff for the busy Happy Hour period.

All in all if it wasn't for a fun company and wine, I would have been wondering why I bothered detouring on the way home on a bus strike day for the experience, especially when we had spent the week talking about it in the office.

I won't hold this against Market House, as I have had 2 great and 1 okay previous experiences there before, but on this occasion the staff need to be able to handle a busy crowd and the food wasn't half as tasty or filling as Baba G's. Oh My Dog will be there for another two weeks, but go it you want more of a bite than a main meal with very basic seasoning.


Sunshine xx

No comments:

Post a Comment